Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Largest Punch Bowl-world record set by Courvoisier and Bompas & Parr
LONDON, UK -- Courvoisier, along with the team at Bompas & Parr , have created ' The Architectural Punchbowl ', a whole room transformed into a giant punchbowl holding 4,000 liters of a new cocktail called ‘The Emperor’s Shrub-setting the new world record for the Largest Punch Bowl .
Photo: Debbie Coxon, 26, from London, sits on a raft in a 4,000-litre Courvoisier punch bowl-the world's Largest Punch Bowl
( enlarge photo )
Over a tonne of Courvoisier Exclusif was used to create 4,000 litres of a new cocktail called ‘The Emperor’s Shrub.
The cocktail was created especially by Joe McCanta with Alex James acting as a taste consultant.
In 1694 the admiral Edward Russell created a punch bowl so large it served 6,000 people, took 2,500 lemons to make and was served by a small boy in a boat.
The Courvoisier Architectural Punch Bowl is bigger - it contains over a tonne of Courvoisier Cognac and can serve over 25,000 people. ‘We wanted to create something similar for people now,’ says Bompas.
Artists Bompas & Parr had to make the building water proof and food-safe and find a way of keeping a vast volume of drink at optimum temperature for the odd installation.
Visitors of the Largest Punch Bowl were offered the opportunity to step onto the rowing boat and scull across the surface whilst enjoying a glass of the prize punch.
The Architectural Punch Bowl raised money for built environment charity Article 25 (article-25.org), a charity that designs and constructs buildings for development agencies, NGOs and communities wherever there is disaster, poverty or need.
The Emperor's Shrub Ingredients
* 2 parts Courvoisier Exclusif
* 1 part Berry Shrub
* 2 part cranberry juice
* 2 part pomegranate juice
* Orange and lemon wheels (for garnish)
* 2 parts seasonal berries such as bilberries, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries
* 1 part sugar
* 1 part water
* 0.5 part high quality cider vinegar
* ¼ part equally divided whole cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cardamom
* Place the berries, spices and sugar into a bowl and cover with cider vinegar
* Crush all of the ingredients together using a wooden spoon
* Allow the mixture to infuse for 12 hours to gain intensity. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and bottle the Berry Shrub cordial
* On the day of serving, add remaining ingredients, Courvoisier Exclusif, and stir
* Serve in a tall glass with ice
* Garnish with freshly sliced fruit, cinnamon sticks and other spices
Related world records :
Biggest drink of orange juice - world record set by Palagiano
Strongest beer - Tactical Nuclear Penguin sets world record
Largest glass of beer-Auld Dubliner sets world record
Most expensive bottle of beer-world record set by Lowebrau
Largest selection of Real Ales-world record set by the Robin Hood Beer Festival
Most Expensive Bottle of Spirits-world record set by Donald Edge
Largest whisky bottle-world record set by Tomintoul Distillery
Tuesday, December 15, 2009